From: cobol400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cobol400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of MichaelQuigley@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2012 11:02 AM
To: cobol400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [COBOL400-L] COBOL400-L Digest, Vol 10, Issue 27

The biggest advantage I know of for a final call closing files is that you
can later use the same program in a series of other calls. i.e., Should
the need arise, you can take this program and call it from a command line
(perhaps for debugging purposes, etc.) or you can call it in a series of
programs and know your resources won't be tied up.

Regarding statically binding the calls by converting to ILE. I would have
to agree with Mark. That's never a bad concept on itself. But a lot of
things need to be checked.

I would like to point out one thing about program calls. The first time a
dynamic call is made, the program has to resolve the location of the
program object and code to be executed. However, on subsequent calls, the
system retains a pointer to the routine. Hence, repeated calls (after the
first one) are now effectively bound to the calling program. This binding
remains in effect until the run unit ends. It's been too long, but I
think you can also break the binding by using a CANCEL statement.