I haven't worked with an ESDS since I worked on IBM mainframes. It was one
of the three kind of VSAM files. Lora - is this problem occurring on an
AS400?

Scott

MichaelQuigley@Th
eWay.Org
Sent by: To
cobol400-l-bounce cobol400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
s@xxxxxxxxxxxx cc

Subject
09/22/2008 07:35 Re: [COBOL400-L] Opening a
AM Variable-Length ESDS

Please respond to
COBOL Programming
on the
iSeries/AS400
<cobol400-l@midra
nge.com>

File status 39 means the attributes of the file don't match. When you say
it's an ESDS, I assume you're referring to an Entry Sequenced Data
Set--a.k.a., an arrival sequence file. I've not worked with
variable-length files (I can't even find anything in the IBM documentation
about it), but I know for variable-length fields you need to compile with
CVTOPT(*VARCHAR) or a PROCESS VARCHAR option. The part I don't understand
is that variable-length fields are supposed to simply be declared as
filler if CVTOPT(*VARCHAR) is not specified--it's not supposed to stop the
program from running. Usually file status 39 indicates a level-check
(MCH4131). Are you using the external definition for the file or are you
trying to describe it in your program?

Michael Quigley
Computer Services
The Way International