We are currently underway with a project to generate XML from COBOL for
our reports. We've found using output to a stream file
"XML GENERATE FILE-STREAM"
to be unacceptably slow and instead we generate to a QTEMP file and then
copy that to a stream file in CL. Either way you will notice a hit CPU
wise when adding XML GENERATE to an existing COBOL program. We expected
that.

Jon is right if you can't figure out how you could represent the
structure in a COBOL set of 01, 05 levels then it might not work for
you.

We are taking three different approaches (depending on how many changes
we want to make to the COBOL program) to generating the XML document but
all of them use the XML GENERATE.

We found it to be pretty simple to use. We did have to add records in
order to make the resultant XML document well-formed.

Rick Beethe
Manager of Application Development
Computer Research, Inc.
10170 Church Ranch Way, Suite 300