You should receive a response from the Information Center developers after
they correspond with the COBOL developers. I have no idea how complete of
an answer you might receive, but you should receive feedback from them.

Note that I am not in COBOL development. I use COBOL, and find that
execution of ON ERROR causes the program status information to be updated,
but I do not know what (if any) other scenarios might cause the update (so
I don't feel qualifed to even try to answer your question of what all
constitutes an error). For sure though a logical error such as a data
value that fails your own application verification (from an earlier note
of yours), but is perfectly valid from a system or language point of view,
would not be considered an error with the current implementation. As
you're interested in then dumping the program due to this application
verification failure, I really don't see anything "too bad" about a divide
by zero in the code where you're going to call off to dump the program.
Hokey? Yes. But then you're also trying to use COBOL error handling
support when COBOL doesn't know there's been any kind of error :-) It
certainly would be nice though to have all of the program information
available at any time...

Bruce Vining

"Michael Rosinger" <mrosinger@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: cobol400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
04/19/2007 09:42 AM
Please respond to
COBOL Programming on the iSeries/AS400 <cobol400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

cobol400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [COBOL400-L] what defines an "error" or "exception" for ILE COBOL?