From: cobol400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:cobol400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of R Bruce Hoffman
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 12:37 PM
To: COBOL Programming on the iSeries/AS400
Subject: Re: [COBOL400-L] Learning COBOL

Well, the lack of responses should tell you something...

Far be it from me to discourage you, but even the Federal Government has
declared all their COBOL systems as "unmaintainable" and have resorted to
replacing them with off-the-shelf software. For example, SAMMS (COBOL,
custom, mainframe) is being phased out in place of SAP (yes, that SAP, and
don't even get me started...) for procurement... as I type. It's taken them
almost 10 years to do it, but it's almost done.

So, your best bet, IMHO, would be to find an employer willing to hire and
train you in COBOL. If COBOL is important to them, and you are willing and
eager enough, that would be enough to get you hired in most of the COBOL
shops I deal with today. If you have some other language experience, then so
much the better.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any colleges teaching COBOL any longer.
As for self-training, unless the pricing has changed dramatically, Fujitsu's
COBOL compiler can set you back $20K-30K. Not exactly a "hobbiest" or "home
use" price. And CICS? I only know of that running in Mainframe and a few
iSeries shops.

And lastly, don't stop with COBOL. Learn at least two or three programming
languages. There is nobody on the planet, that I have given that advice to,
that has regretted taking it. Especially AS400 COBOL programmers... ;-) but
that applies equally to RPG programmers that I taught COBOL to.

loravara@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Good Evening,

I am eager to learn COBOL, JCL, TSO, CICS and all of the other
minutiae that go along with programming on an IBM mainframe. Does
anyone know if any college or university anywhere in the U.S.
(preferably near Denver) offers courses in such areas? Failing that,
does anyone have advice on how to proceed, how to learn the skills
that would be marketable to an employer without the backing of a
university? What, if anything, would prompt an employer to accept a
self-trained programmer?

Thanks for any advice you can offer. If this isn't the right list for
this, I apologize; if you feel you have information but this is an
off-topic question, please reply privately. I began my COBOL studies
with a mentor who said I had the mind of a programmer. Between his
lessons and lots of time with books, I've actually written some useful
COBOL, and I can write basic JCL and use TSO fairly well. BUT CICS is
a mystery, and I know there's a lot more to cover in all areas.

Thanks in advance.

Lora

---

---