From: cobol400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:cobol400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michael Rosinger
Sent: Wednesday, December 13, 2006 6:18 AM
To: cobol400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [COBOL400-L] SYSOUT vs. QPRINT for debug-type information...

List,

Another ILE/COBOL newbie question. I was running a test program where I
was issuing a lot of DISPLAY UPON SYSOUT messages for debug purposes.
The job was cancelled by the system because "the size of the message
queue for job xxx reached the maximum size". I see from the output that
in addition to the lines I was interested in seeing there were lots of
system-generated stuff that I did not care about.

In the mainframe world, we are used to using a lot of DISPLAY UPON
SYSLST (if need be) and they just get routed to a different spooled
entry which is separate from any of the other reports the program may
generate. It's readily accessible if you happen to need it to verify a
problem and easily discarded if you don't.

So, in the iSeries world, what is the "acceptable" way to create printed
output for debug and tracking purposes? Coding a DISPLAY UPON SYSOUT is,
of course, easier than defining and writing to a print file, but it's
not a big deal if that is what must be done.

Your suggestions please? TIA

--
Regards,

Michael Rosinger
Systems Programmer / DBA
Computer Credit, Inc.
640 West Fourth Street
Winston-Salem, NC  27101
336-761-1524
m rosinger at cciws dot com

--
This is the COBOL Programming on the iSeries/AS400 (COBOL400-L) mailing