Jim Essinger wrote:
   4. Re:  'IBM says it's time to dich PDM/SEU'? (Jim Essinger)

You are welcome David. Just so you know, if you really can't give up your block cut, copy, move etc, commands in the sequence number area, I believe that WDSC LPEX editor supports those commands in the sequence number area of it's editor. I didn't like how I had to get over there to key the commands, so I learned the alt + L to highlight a line, then a few lines up or down do it again to highlight a block, and then use alt + (C to copy, M to move, D
to delete) the highlighted lines. I think once you learn it it is much
faster, and easier to see errors in coding, lines that have been commented
out (different color) etc.

Jim:

Nice to know, but that doesn't describe what a 'block copy' is to me.

A block-copy doesn't copy a "block" of lines. A block-copy involves a selection of a rectangular area some fixed-number of columns wide and a fixed-number of rows deep. For example, I might select colums 15-30 in rows 20-25. I would then copy that rectangular area to columns 10-25 in rows 10-15.

I do this kind of copy regularly for different source types. In CL, I might have a list of PGM PARM() variables that I want to create DCLs for. Since I always create the PGM statement so that each PARM() value is on a separate line, I can block-copy the whole list of names only and block-paste over a series of skeleton DCLs. I can block-copy a series of data types and lengths in the same way from a RPG DS and block-paste over a different DS; that helps ensure that the two DSes have the same definition. (This is most useful when I copy/paste between sessions where a LIKEDS isn't meaningful.)

In short, block-copy generally involves a block of characters rather than whole lines. However, when I use it, it's available through the iSeries Access emulator and not through any special feature of SEU. Block-copy can be done in WDSC, but it's always seemed cumbersome to me.

Tom Liotta