Hi Geir!

(Warning: This may be a little bit in my own self-interest, since I wrote
the lab that the "ditch SEU" email is about.)

As to getting the tools, as long as you own the iSeries licensed product
5722WDS you should have received a package of PC disks (about 12, I believe)
labeled WebSphere Development Studio Client for iSeries.  If you didn't, you
can ask your business partner to get you a copy.  You should probably ask
them anyway, because chances are you have an older version -- you'll need to
get a package marked "Version 6.0".

There have been lots of discussions about the installation process,
especially on the WDSCI-L mailing list.  I suggest you join that list.  In
any case, the install takes a few hours and the subsequent upgrade takes a
few more hours (the upgrade should be downloaded from IBM, it is well over
1GB in size).

As Domenico points out, WDSC requires 512MB of RAM.  I suggest 768MB or 1GB
if you can afford it.  But the most important thing in my opinion is disk
speed.  It will run horribly on a 4200RPM laptop disk drive, whereas it runs
very, very quickly on my high-speed 15000RPM drives.

Once you HAVE installed WDSC, you will receive many benefits.  It's very
powerful for accessing multiple machines, it's great for having multiple
source members open, for doing searchs and so on.  The COBOL editor is not
as fancy as the RPG editor, but it does provide auto-colored source code and
a few other goodies.

Most importantly, though, is that once you get comfortable using the tool in
your day-to-day editing, you will then be able to play around with the many
tutorials shipped with the product.  These tutorials help you learn things
like Web Services and JavaServer Pages and even basic Java.

Joe

From: Geir.Kildal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi.

I'm stuck in an old environment with OPM COBOL and PDM/SEU.  It works ok
from day to day, but where do I go to find these new tools, and what do I
gain by using them?