Adrienne,

You could always use the QCMDEXC API and string together a RNM command for
any file in any file system.

I'm not sure what you mean by an ILE file in a library.  ILE is an
environment and programming model, not a file type.  If you're simply
referring to renaming a 'native' file in the QSYSLIB file system, you can
string together a RNMOBJ command.  Documentation on these commands is
available in under CL in the Programming section of the Information
Center.  URL:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/index.jsp for V5R3
or http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r2/index.jsp for
V5R2.

The API finder is a great resource for API information  For V5R3 it's at:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/topic/apis/apifinder.htm
and for V5R2 it's at:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r2/topic/apis/apifinder.htm

HTH,