Have you asked IBM if their HP to AS/400 tools are still available?

As to your specific questions.

1) Pause.  You can call the C functions sleep and usleep depending on how
long you want to wait.  Both can be used in COBOL but (because of
prototyping) can be used far more easily in RPG.

2) There are a number of options for HPCICOMMAND.  The most direct
replacement would be QCMDEXC (there is a second variant but I can't recall
the name).  You can also call C's 'system' function.  For FTP stuff consider
Scott Klement's FTPAPI which makes things simpler to do direct program
requests (www.scottklement.com).  You can also use U*ix style scripts within
QSHELL.

3) 'SETJCW' - there are no bits to set so ...... you need to specify what
you're trying to control so that we can advise whether there is an
alternative (or indeed even a need to do it).

4) Renaming -  depends on what/why you are doing it.  There are Un*x style
functions for files in the IFS and the command RNMOBJ for database files.
Frankly I think you need to get a handle on how the 400's database works
before making decisions in this area.  Usually changing names and such are
tasks performed to deal with a problem/quirk/feature of the OS on which the
programs are running.  You need to understand _why_ it was being done before
seeking a replacement.

5) Error handling.  A lot of what you need to know will be classified as
"Message handling" - iSeries News recently republished some articles by Gary
Guthrie on the topic of message handling etc.  Check then out at
www.iseriesnetwork.com

Good luck.

Jon Paris
Partner400