Karen,

Initially, the program ended with EXIT PROGRAM, falling through to STOP RUN
in case it was "the top level program of the run unit."  The quote is from a
program comment.  I then replaced EXIT PROGRAM with GOBACK, but it didn't
change anything.  I think GOBACK is equivalent to EXIT PROGRAM, followed by
STOP RUN, so I'm not surprised.

>From the research I've done, I think Jon Paris has the right approach.
(Thanks Jon!) The term "COBOL run unit" as it applies to OPM COBOL seems
relevant here.  The current job flow pertaining to the call level is:
CLP
loop: CALL COBOL
      Return to CLP
      If more processing, continue loop
end loop
CLP ENDPGM

The first interation of the COBOL program opens the printer file, produces a
report, and doesn't close the printer file.  Subsequent iterations in the
loop produce reports and don't open or close the printer file.  After the
last iteration in the loop, the COBOL program is called one last time and
only closes the printer file.

I believe what's happening is that when the COBOL program ends after the
first iteration, the printer file is closed anyway because it's the end of
the COBOL run unit.  I thus received the MCH3601 error on the subsequent
iteration.  I believe if I didn't let the first iteration of the COBOL
program end, then the files would remain open.  So I could make the COBOL
program recursive, i.e. the loop would occur from within the COBOL program
rather than the CLP.

Jon suggested a COBOL stub program that would simply call the CLP.  I gather
that if the printer file is opened in a subsequent program in the run unit,
as long as the run unit doesn't end (i.e. the stub program), then the file
will remain open -- unless the file is explicitly closed.  So that's another
alternative.

Do you use another approach to handle this in OPM?  Sorry for the length of
this, but I figure it I misunderstood anything, some kind person would
correct me.  <g>

- Greg