Hi, Jared: you are right: its name is just return-code. COBOL reference manual
says:
"RETURN-CODE Special Register
IBM Extension
The RETURN-CODE special register can be used to pass return code information
(that is, a numeric value) from a program to its caller (either a calling
program or
the system).
You can set the RETURN-CODE special register before executing an EXIT
PROGRAM, GOBACK, or STOP RUN statement.
RETURN-CODE has the implicit definition:
01 RETURN-CODEGLOBAL PICTURES9999 USAGEBINARY VALUE0
This special register may be used anywhere in a program where a data-item with a
data definition of PICTURE S9999 USAGE BINARY is allowed. When used in
nested programs, the RETURN-CODE special register is implicitly defined as
GLOBAL in the outermost program. When a COBOL subprogram terminates, the
contents of the RETURN-CODE special register of the subprogram are transferred
into the RETURN-CODE special register of the calling program. When the main
COBOL program terminates, and control returns to the operating system, the
special register content is returned to the operating system as a user return
code."

Have good time.

        Domenico Finucci
        Sistemi informativi, Tel. + 39 02-43.01.2494
        Fiditalia S.p.A. via G. Silva, 34 - 20149 Milano
        E-mail: domenico.finucci@xxxxxxxxxxxx