One option would be to use FTP to delete the file on the PC Server, then PUT the file from the IFS. You can put the FTP commands in a source file member, then override INPUT to the source file member with your FTP commands. then execute the FTP command, and it will read from the source file and do all the data movement.

Marge Rozmarynowycz wrote:

Tom,

Thanks for sharing your information. It seems cross-platform is the order of the day. It is helpful to know that it's not the IFS that's the problem. I'd like to know more about /QNTC; do you have any good sources?

Marge

Tom Liotta wrote:

cobol400-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

6. IFS and Windows (Marge Rozmarynowycz)

We have a text file on our IFS which we are trying to copy to a MS
Windows web server. One of our Visual Basic programmers has written a
project that is intended to copy the IFS file to the web server whenever
the IFS file changes. The VB routine works with Windows/PC files, but
not with the IFS file. We have resorted to scheduling the copy at a
given point in time every week, but would still prefer to copy the file
whenever it changes. Has anyone tried to do this?

Marge:

I'm not sure what this has to do with COBOL, although oddly enough when we tried to do something similar I was also writing in COBOL. That project had some _extremely_ competent Windows pgmrs and they couldn't get it to work either. They also claimed they could make it work on Windows BUT...

I asked them to verify whether they meant it would work with the VB on one Windows system while the file was on a separate Windows server or they meant it worked when both were on the same PC. They came back later and said they had trouble _regardless_ of whether the remote system was an AS/400 or a Windows server; it would only work reliably if both were on the same PC.

IOW, the IFS had nothing to do with it. It was the fact that it was remote, across a network, different systems, that brought problems for the VB program.

By using /QNTC and writing from the AS/400 directly to the needed PC, we resolved that issue.

Of course, there were numerous additional issues due to potentially crossing Windows network domains, etc., etc. We finally settled on a sockets connection to a small Java program installed as a service wherever the data needed to end up. Eliminated all problems except firewalls, but at least firewalls can be configured.

Have no idea if this helps, but might spark some thought.

Tom Liotta