   I don't know your environment, but one thing you'll need to watch our for
   is mixing ILE and OPM.  The run units are generally NOT compatible.  i.e.,
   call an ILE COBOL program from an OPM COBOL program, end it with a exit
   program or goback, and the run unit for the ILE COBOL program will likely
   be ended.  There are other gotchas, but I don't recall all of them off the
   top of my head.

   There are cases when you can get an ILE COBOL program to activate into the
   same run unit, but not if you're calling procedures in a service program.
    I've not had very good success mixing the ILE and OPM environments.  If
   your monster COBOL program is the main program for your application, you
   may be okay.  Unless it calls other OPM COBOL programs -- in which case,
   they will be in a different run-unit.

   date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 11:03:32 -0500
   from: rick.baird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
   subject: cobol calling an rpg procedure that returns a value

   Sorry for the cross posting to RPG400-l for this question (although, it is
   'sorta' RPG related), but the Cobol list doesn't get much traffic these
   days.  - Post your replies to COBOL400-L

   I've got a monster cobol program that I have to make major mods to, and
   what I want to do is externalize certain functions, rather than rewrite
   the
   whole thing.  I want to build a set of procedures in RPG and put them in a
   service program, and call them from the existing cobol pgm

   I know OPM cobol pretty well, but have not even given the first thought to
   ILE concepts in a cobol environement, nor do I think I ever will again
   after this special case.

   can someone provide me an example of a cobol program calling a procedure
   that returns a value?  - or point to a reference in the archives?

   are there prototypes involved?  does the CBLLE program get bound to the
   service program?  are binding directories used?

   I've spent a while looking in the manuals, and well, they aren't very
   helpful (probably my fault).  I don't want to spend hours decifering
   something I'm only going to use once.

   Thanks in advance,

   Rick