I have a procedure with a complex data structure /COPY'd under an 01-level
Linkage Section item. This procedure needs to extract one of the fields for
some work, but most other fields in the data structure are not directly
referenced. I've created a Working-storage Section field that uses LIKE to get
the same definition as the single field that I want.

However, it looks like I need to move the Linkage Section specs ahead of
Working-storage in order for the compiler to see the LIKE object first. Of
course, this causes a "Working Storage out of sequence. Accepted." warning
message on the compile; but otherwise it seems to compile fine. Without this
sequence, I get LNC2515, "LIKE object <field-name> not defined. Clause
discarded." as well as LNC1236, "No PICTURE for elementary item <field-name>".

I didn't see any restriction in the manual except that if the LIKE object was
grouped with other fields that had a TYPE clause, the TYPE must be fully
resolved first (or something similar to that). It didn't seem exactly to be
what I was doing, but it pushed me into rearranging the order of Linkage and
Working-storage Sections just to see if it'd work.

Has anybody else seen similar behavior? Is there are better approach than the
one I took?

Thanks.

Tom Liotta

Tom Liotta