In a previous contribution, I mentioned that only ILE COBOL would support
part of the COBOL 2002 standard. I thought I'd share with you the official
response I received a few months ago from a responsible source within IBM.
=
1)  COBOL(ILE) on iSeries doesn't have a solid plan to support the whole
ANSI
2002 standard yet but we've been enhancing the compiler to support some
features in the new standard already e.g. NATIONAL support. The current
thoughts we (COBOL on all platform including pSeries, zSeries & iSeries)
have is to support things that customers really want. Btw, you're not the
first person to ask about the new standard, do you get lots of enquiries
and is it something that will affect sales if we(IBM) don't fully support
it? These will be something that might affect our decision.

For COBOL under Linux, I have the following:

2) Acucorp has an ACU Cobol environment on iSeries Linux. Software
developers can move their existing AUCOBOL-GT applications to Linux for
iSeries without recompilation. We don't have an IBM COBOL compiler for
Linux at this time.
=
Also, note the following response I received from Micro Focus:
Micro Focus will be supporting the iSeries using Server Express - using the
iSeries PACE(?) technology. Server Express supports *some* of the 2002 COBOL
but as the standard has not been released there are likely to be changes.
Micro Focus is playing a full role in the standards process. Any changes to
Server Express needed to comply with the final 2002 standard will be made in
due course.

I hope the above will be useful for those interested in COBOL 2002 and/or
COBOL on iSeries Linux.

David Silber

This email and any attachments are strictly confidential and are intended
solely for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient you must
not disclose, forward, copy or take any action in reliance on this message
or its attachments. If you have received this email in error please notify
the sender as soon as possible and delete it from your computer systems.
necessarily reflect those of HPD Software Limited or its affiliates.

 At present the integrity of email across the internet cannot be guaranteed
and messages sent via this medium are potentially at risk.  All liability
is excluded to the extent permitted by law for any claims arising as a re-
sult of the use of this medium to transmit information by or to
HPD Software Limited or its affiliates.