From: C400-L <c400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Patrik Schindler
Sent: December 14, 2021 9:47 AM
To: Bare Metal Programming IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries) <c400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [C400-L] Using Data Queues in C, with V4

Hello Chris,

glad do hear from you again!

Am 14.12.2021 um 15:27 schrieb Chris Hird <chrish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

The API's you are looking at are for Client Access programs?

Hmm. Did I get something wrong? Are cwbDQ_* functions client access specific? If the answer is yes, then: Which functions do I need to work with Data Queues on OS/400 from within C?

An Alternative approach would be to create a Client server process where the external server collecting the data would send the data to the server via IP and then a process on the IBM I would take that data and write to the Data queue for later consumption?

Honestly, I don't want to distribute the functionality over multiple hosts.

The use of an IP based process would be similar to a web server so the number of transactions per second could be pretty large. The source would just have to do a send() and not bother about confirmation of receipt outside of the return from the send function so I would think that would be very efficient?? As long as the recv() is done efficiently I cannot see the target buffers being a problem either??

I already have an IP based process on OS/400. :-) It's just not yet writing the calculated values anywhere but stdout (a scrolling screen in a 5250 session).

I want to save that received-and-calculated data with a good compromise between least overhead, and easy consumption by an "archiver". Thus I thought, a Data Queue might be a good fit.

Maybe the 150 is fast enough to allow me to directly do a _Rwrite to a PF. If I can't find out how to cope with Data Queues, on V4, in C, I probably have no choice to try that out.

:wq! PoC