I often write tiny, throw-away things when I need to learn a new API or
something on the 400 and found that I had an example of handling an
exception like this for an old API. Anyway, I came up with the following.
I will gladly entertain suggestions for improvements, etc.

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <sstream>
#include <iomanip>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <qmhqrdqd.h>
#include <except.h>
#include <signal.h>

using namespace std;

//
http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/ssw_ibm_i_71/apis/qmhqrdqd.htm
// icc qmhqrdqd.cpp -o qmhqrdqd

#define TRIMMED_STRING(x) (string((x), sizeof((x))))

static _INTRPT_Hndlr_Parms_T exception_data;
static void handler_SIGALL(int sig)
{
_GetExcData(&exception_data);
cout << "Exception message ID is " <<
TRIMMED_STRING(exception_data.Msg_Id) << endl;
cout << "Signal raised is " << sig << endl;
throw runtime_error("your mom goes to college");
}

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
Qmh_Qrdqd_RDQD0100_t dtaqDesc;

try {
void (*signal_handler)(int);
signal_handler = signal(SIGALL, handler_SIGALL);
QMHQRDQD(&dtaqDesc, sizeof(Qmh_Qrdqd_RDQD0100_t), "RDQD0100",
"BOGUS BOGUS ");
signal_handler = signal(SIGALL, signal_handler);

cout << "Bytes_Return=" << dtaqDesc.Bytes_Return << endl;
cout << "Bytes_Available=" << dtaqDesc.Bytes_Available << endl;
cout << "Message_Length=" << dtaqDesc.Message_Length << endl;
cout << "Key_Length=" << dtaqDesc.Key_Length << endl;
cout << "Sequence=" << TRIMMED_STRING(dtaqDesc.Sequence) << endl;
cout << "Include_Sender_Id=" <<
TRIMMED_STRING(dtaqDesc.Include_Sender_Id) << endl;
cout << "Force_Indicators=" <<
TRIMMED_STRING(dtaqDesc.Force_Indicators) << endl;
cout << "Text=" << TRIMMED_STRING(dtaqDesc.Text) << endl;
cout << "Type=" << TRIMMED_STRING(dtaqDesc.Type) << endl;
cout << "Automatic_Reclaim=" <<
TRIMMED_STRING(dtaqDesc.Automatic_Reclaim) << endl;
cout << "Enforce_Object_Locks=" <<
TRIMMED_STRING(dtaqDesc.Enforce_Object_Locks) << endl;
cout << "Number_Messages=" << dtaqDesc.Number_Messages << endl;
cout << "Max_Number_Messages=" << dtaqDesc.Max_Number_Messages <<
endl;
cout << "Data_Queue_Name=" <<
TRIMMED_STRING(dtaqDesc.Data_Queue_Name) << endl;
cout << "Data_Queue_Library=" <<
TRIMMED_STRING(dtaqDesc.Data_Queue_Library) << endl;
cout << "Max_Number_Entries_Allowed=" <<
dtaqDesc.Max_Number_Entries_Allowed << endl;
cout << "Initial_Number_Entries=" <<
dtaqDesc.Initial_Number_Entries << endl;
cout << "Max_Number_Entries_Specified=" <<
dtaqDesc.Max_Number_Entries_Specified << endl;
cout << "Last_Auto_Reclaim_Date_Time=" <<
TRIMMED_STRING(dtaqDesc.Last_Auto_Reclaim_Date_Time) << endl;
}
catch (runtime_error& e) {
cerr << e.what() << endl;
}