I agree with the situation about those having only CL available [I have even been in situations where that was the effective scenario], and that the value in knowing how to do the work in CL irrespective of its potential usefulness generally... because they are educational.

I just want to clarify however, that the OP noted [and to what and why I responded was] that the issue involved an educational example of ILE CL calling a procedure with CALLPRC; i.e. for a "presentation" that was being prepared. I was of the opinion that FLOAT was an unnecessary complexity which could easily be avoided; i.e. there was no reason to use that "rather complicated sample as a good representation of what ILE is", when so many other examples could be had without needing to pass a FLOAT data type. And FWiW the "system I have used lately", although left unmentioned, is one which has no access fees and also gives free access to an RPG compiler. Thus I could have created the module, saved the object, and transported the object anywhere required. About the only limitation for the person with only CL available, is if that person has the ability to RSTOBJ... because we can probably safely assume they can CRTPGM.

Regards, Chuck