I finally got back to this particular issue, and came up with a solution
with minimal impact on the code:
I'm already getting the open feedback on the first (forced RRN) open, in
order to get the member name, if the user didn't open a specific member
I just moved that open feedback retrieval to before the second (keyed,
if the file is keyed) open, and checked the shared flag. If it's shared,
then an OVRDBF SHARE(*NO) is constructed and issued on the file, before
that second open. It seems to solve the problem, and it also manages to
avoid getting into any fights with the OVRDBF issued if the user
requests an OPNQRYF.
Thanks to all who replied, both for your suggestions (practical and
otherwise), and for providing a sounding board.
This mailing list archive is Copyright 1997-2019 by midrange.com and David Gibbs as a compilation work. Use of the archive is restricted to research of a business or technical nature. Any other uses are prohibited. Full details are available on our policy page. If you have questions about this, please contact