Thank you for the link, Aaron. I promise not to lose it this time
<grin />.

Terry.

On Wed, 2009-07-22 at 17:25 -0500, Aaron Albertson wrote:
My apologies, I just signed up for this list, so I can't preserve the
continuity of the thread.

The ILE C Runtime on IBM i follows the XBD specification for regular
expressions, defined here:
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xbd/re.html

The problem with your regular expression is the use of the '\w' and '\W'
specifiers. These specifiers do not exist in the XBD regular expression
specification. If these specifiers are used like they are in PERL, '\w'
means any word character, and '\W' means any non-word character, so '[\w
\W]' would be equivalent to '.'. Alternatively you could use the character
class expressions (like [:alpha:] which would match any alphabetic
character). Here are two adaptations of your expression that would work on
IBM i:

"^(MDB)[-[:alpha:][:blank:]]*(Final.PDF|Final.pdf)$"
"^(MDB).*(Final.PDF|Final.pdf)$"

I hope that helps.

Aaron Albertson
IBM Rochester, MN 55901