I am not a fan of variable argument functions either. I came to C from C++
originally and since I liked function overloading, I figured I'd try the
concept in C. Then I ran into all the difficulties you've described.

What I went with in the rare cases where I did use them was the 'sentinel'
concept. One of my college professors liked it and it stuck with me.
Basically, you designate a special value (i.e. NULL) as the list terminator
(aka sentinel). Then the doStuff() function processes the list until it
hits the sentinel.

There are drawbacks with that approach as well. Sometimes it's not really
possible to find a special value in the data type range that can be reserved
for the sentinel. Another drawback is that the burden is on the invoker to
include the sentinel every time he uses the function.
In my case I was originally the only invoker, so it wasn't a big deal.
Later on though, this function became a common function and a lot of
developers started using it. I think the reason we never ran into problems
with it is that they tend to clone-and-go, so when they clone the original
code, they're lucky to include the sentinel value as well.

As far as I know, this is the issue with all C implementations, not just the
IBM i.

For the relative 'safety' it provides, I actually like your #1 approach.
That's how main() works and for most C developers it wouldn't be a big leap
to understand the concept (i.e. for the consumers of your doStuff()
function).

Elvis

Celebrating 11-Years of SQL Performance Excellence on IBM i, i5/OS and
OS/400
www.centerfieldtechnology.com