The conversion descriptor is reuseable.  I would check to make sure you
aren't inadvertently writing over it somewhere in your code (like you seem
to be assuming your input will never exceed 32K but don't actually check).

Since outleft is set to the 32k size, iconv() won't convert past 32k anyway, will it? So, unless I'm very confused, the program that I posted as a sample (which seems to be what you're referring to) won't ever overwrite memory that it shouldn't....

It's true that there might be input that doesn't get translated (if the parameter is longer than what will fit into the output buffer) but I don't see how it could overwrite another area of memory...

This thread ...