From: c400-l-bounces+joakim.svensson=capgemini.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:c400-l-bounces+joakim.svensson=capgemini.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Jevgeni Astanovski
Sent: den 3 november 2005 16:35
To: C programming iSeries / AS400
Subject: RE: [C400-L] What is a technique to start a program
periodically?

I've asked this question once last year and got some proposals.
Letter below describes more or less these possibilities.

There was also Simon Coulter's comment:

>Surely it would be better to start the program once and have it sleep
>for n seconds between processing. That would avoid the overhead of
>starting umpteen jobs as well as make it easier to locate problems.

But the problem is (I understood it now :-(((), that most of these are
not what I've been looking for....

Imagine you need to START a process every minute, that is ......
7:00:00
7:01:00
7:02:00
7:03:00

And the process itself can take from 1 second to say 50 seconds -
unpredictable.
Both methods (1) and (2) does not do the job at all - as obvious as it
is. I need to guarantee, that the process is started with a fixed
frequency, and the proposed guarantees, that system will rest guaranteed
amount of time between process executions.

The only method, that actually does the job is (3), when I have an upper
level C(L) program, that submits my process every fixed period.
But Simon says, that from the system point of view it is not very good.

Are there any other possibilities, or number (3) is the only one?

Jevgeni.

the property of the Capgemini Group. It is intended only for the person to whom
it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient,  you are not authorized
to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate,  distribute, or use this message or
any part thereof. If you receive this  message in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete all  copies of this message.