Thanks Bruce for very well structured questions.
I'm also confused.
What I meant by saying, that 1122 and 37 is the same, is the fact, that setting
machine primary language to 1122 or to 37 has the same effect. Luckily OS/400
is not translated to Estonian.

My program seems to work at 37 and respectively (Ä) has a code of 0x63 in my
program
char c;
c = 'Ä' ;
printf("%02X\n", c) ;

gives 63

Now PC sends letter "Ä", that is received on this particular AS/400 as 0x24
rather than 0x63.
All basic part of the table (latin letters and numbers) are not scrambled.

Actually I know have a feeling, that problem is rather on the PC side, that
does wrong conversion....