We feel that the process of accessing non-IBM
databases from iSeries system is not what it can be.
Various strategies are used but few of them provide
the seamless access that is required. Many pages can
be written regarding the pros and cons of these
strategies, if you use any of these you know what they
are.

Typical strategies:
*Importing / exporting of text files
*Expensive software products that are limited to
single database vendors
*Propriety API's that only work for a single database
vendor
*Use JDBC to write import and export code while the
rest of the system is written in an ILE language

These days iSeries systems are rarely the only
database system in the enterprise. Information
typically has to be exchanged between iSeries and
non-iSeries databases like Microsoft SQL Server,
MySQL, Oracle and other non-IBM databases. Our goal is
to develop a system that allows RPG, C/C++, COBOL and
other ILE languages to access non-iSeries databases as
if it was an iSeries. In this system you would be able
to access non-IBM databases using the same methods
that you would use to access data on a remote iSeries
system (but it happens to be MySQL or some other
database).

The scope of this development has not been finalized.
We have created a survey that will help us determine
if there are other iSeries users that feel the same
way we do. We also want to better understand the
functionality that other iSeries users would like to
have included in the scope of this development.

Please take a few minutes and complete the survey at
http://dba.atmyportal.com/survey/public/survey.php?name=dba