> Have you read the "Stored Procedures, Triggers and User Defined Functions on
> DB2 Universal Database for iSeries" redbook. Here is a link to downloadable
> PDF: http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg246503.html?Open

No, but thanks for the link.

> You don't show it, so let me ask, did you compile this module into a service
> program PGMRPGMLIB/DEBUGOUT?

I believe I did with:

CRTSRVPGM SRVPGM(PGMRPGMLIB/DEBUGOUT) EXPORT(*ALL) ACTGRP(*CALLER)

> Do 'fileName' and 'message' get passed in as struct that has a short 2 byte
> integer value giving you the length of the data, followed by the data
> itself?

Not that I can tell. In the above PDF they have example: (readFileToTable) p513.

They pass in a VARCHAR(255) which maps to *fileName
They are accessing it in the same way: fopen(fileName, "r"))