I have, almost all the time. It's pretty powerful, and you can do fairly
complex build files with lots of dependencies and build rules.

It close to any other platforms make utility as you will get, using native
commands.

The other option is to use [g]make and icc via the QSHELL environment and have
your source files in the IFS;

[
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/enable/site/porting/iseries/overview/gnu_utilities.html
 ]