Hi Dezo,

Just a few hints:

a) Most iSeries programmers don't use ICC. The icc program is something that was created to make Unix people feel at home. iSeries people don't work from QShell or PASE, they work from OS/400 native tools.

b) The term "module" refers to what you think of as an "object" file. i.e. when you create a *MODULE object, it's the same thing as creating "myfile.o" on a Unix system, just a different name for the same thing. (The word "object" means something else on the iSeries)

c) The term "binding" refers to what you think of as "linking." i.e. when you take one or more modules and turn them into programs, the process is called "binding" on the iSeries. It's exactly the same thing as linking, they just have a different name.

d) The term "service program" refers to what you think of as a "shared library". On a Unix system it would be called myfile.so. On the iSeries, it's called a *SRVPGM. The term "library" on the iSeries means something else -- what you would probably think of as a "folder" or "directory."

e) You compile ILE C modules with the CRTCMOD command. You can type CRTCMOD and press F4 to get a listing of all of the possible parameters. You can also press F1 on those parameters to get additional help.

f) You bind ILE modules (compiled from any language) using the CRTPGM command. Again, press F4 and F1 for additional help.

g) There's a shortcut command for compiling/binding in one step called CRTBNDC.

h) Instead of shell scripts, we use a language called CL. Strangely, it's a compiled language -- compiled with CRTCLMOD or CRTBNDCL... modules created that way can be bound directly to C programs, allowing some interesting possibilities.

The manuals for all of this are located in the IBM Information Center.
http://www.iseries.ibm.com/infocenter

In particular, you'll want to click on the Programming branch of the navigation window on the left.

Good Luck