You need to be using the Integrated File System version of rename().  In
the V5R2 Information Center take the path Programming/APIs/APIs by
category/Unix-Type/Integrated File System APIs/rename()

What is documented there is that if you define _POSIX_SOURCE you will get a
rename() which unlinks the "new" if it exists.

                      Terrence Enger

                      <tenger@iSeries-g        To:       c400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx

                      uru.com>                 cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [C400-L] definition of
rename()
                      c400-l-bounces@mi

                      drange.com

                      09/22/2003 10:11

                      PM

                      Please respond to

                      C programming

                      iSeries / AS400

Greetings, all.

A program failure has made me look at the definition of the
rename() function.  I find that the IBM run-time library
reference (iSeries ILE C/C++ for iSeries Run-Time Library
Functions, Version 5; SC41-5607-01) says explicitly that the
"to" parameter must not name an existing file.  The Posix
definition
<http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xsh/rename.html>
on the other hand allows this situation and specifies the
behaviour of the function in this case.

Surely rename() is a commonly used part of Posix.  Do I have
to do something special to get Posix compatibility?

Thank you for your attention.

Terry.
Available for contract programming.