Hi Ted,

What I used to do in the past is ftp the source members to my PC, do all the
editing with CodeWright source editor and ftp the members back to the 400
when I needed to compile them.  That worked really well as long as I was the
only guy editing the member.  But if there were multiple people then we had
to find some way of source control.  We are a small shop so just talking to
each other worked.
There are many other PC editors you can buy or download from net.

Then, one of the colleagues installed WDSC (Websphere Development Studio
Client) and with it came CODE400, and that's what I've been using since.
With it you edit the members directly on the 400 and have a lock on a member
while editing it, so no danger of running into other developers working on
the same member.  There are some things that are not quite as slick as
CodeWright, but all the function I had there is in CODE400 as well, you just
have to dig some more.

That said, IBM is moving away from CODE400 to built-in WDSC Java built
editor (LPEX is the name if I recall correctly) and it's getting better with
every release of WDSC, but still has ways to go.
WDSC is also used to develop in RPG, JAVA as well as run a visual debugger
(short learning curve there, also there used to be some bugs, don't know
today).

Elvis