Change your array dimension to 500 and I suspect you'll see a failure
around the 257th allocation.  Each language runtime could handle storage
allocations in different manners, but I would expect most of them to fail
in the neighborhood of 4GB.

Bruce

                      Mel Rothman

                      <mel@xxxxxxxxxxxx        To:       C400-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx

                      om>                      cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  [C400-L] Re:
Authentication / base64 encoder?
                      c400-l-bounces@mi

                      drange.com

                      08/29/2003 10:26

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      C programming

                      iSeries / AS400

Jon,

I don't know where RPG allocates storage from (you said "from the
default heap which has 1 16M limit"), but I just ran a test that
indicates RPG dynamic storage is not limited to only 1 16 megabyte
piece of storage.

Below is the code and it had no problems allocating 16,000,000 bytes
to each of 50 pointers.

Am I missing or misunderstanding something?

Did you mean to say 16M per pointer?

Mel Rothman
Mel Rothman, Inc.

D ptrs            s               *   dim(50)
D i               s             10i 0
C                   for       i = 1 to %elem(ptrs)
C                   alloc     16000000      ptrs(i)
C                   endfor
C                   eval      *inlr = *on