Further to this...

This is how the program flow works. There are a series of modules (compiled
with CRTCMOD) - the most important being UNZIP and MINIUNZ. UNZIP is the
wrapper for zLib. UNZIP has a struct in it called "unz_s" which stores the
FILE* in it. Now, the calling program (MINIUNZ) calls an Open ZIP function
which does a fopen(path, "rb") on the input file:

extern unzFile ZEXPORT unzOpen (path)
        const char *path;
{
        unz_s *s;
        unz_s us;

        opfin = fopen(path, "rb");

        us.file=opfin;

        s=(unz_s*)ALLOC(sizeof(unz_s));
        *s=us;
        s->file = opfin;
        unzGoToFirstFile((unzFile)s);
        return (unzFile)s;
}

Here, the opfin is declared outside the function within the module.

Now, at this point if I add an fseek/fread then it works. As soon as it
returns to the calling function (in MINIUNZ) and calls another function
(again in the UNZIP module) the FILE* now won't work.

Originally, the opfin was not global but I've now even tried to make the
opfin externally defined (in MINIUNZ) w/o any luck.

It seems to be a problem with scope but I don't have enough experience with
AS/400 programming to track it down.

S.