  • Subject: Re: Initializing arrays....
  • From: "Jevgeni Astanovski" <jevgeni@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 09:48:06 +0200 (EET)

> From:          "Pantzopoulos, Mike" <mikepantzopoulos@mynd.com>
> To:            "'C400-L@midrange.com'" <C400-L@midrange.com>
> Subject:       Initializing arrays....
> Date:          Tue, 27 Jun 2000 02:11:02 -0400

> Am I allowed to do the following?
>
> char ior[1000];
>       :
> memset(ior[0],0,sizeof(ior));
>
> ........to initialize ior as a string array or is it more elegant to use the
Mike,
what you are talking about is a char array, not a string array.
Once again, C itself knows nothing about strings.
Now you examples.
memset requires void * as first argument.
ior[0] is of type char, so your example is wrong.
memset(ior, 0, sizeof(ior)) works as well as
memset(&ior[0], 0, sizeof(ior))
&ior[0] - pointer to the first element of the array - the same like
pointer to array.

> following from the Programmers Guide.............
>
> for (i = 0; i < 3; price[i++] = 0).........matching the above........
>
> for (i = 0; i < 1000; ior[i++] = 0)
>      ;
>  .....and by the way should the value being set be 0 or /0?
I believe, that memset is faster.
Now 0 and \0.
0 is an integer constant, so the assignment ior[i] = 0 is absolutely
correct.
\0 is nothing, can only be '\0' is a char representation of the NULL
character.

> Thank You boys and girls......

Jevgeni Astanovski,
IT Hooldusosakonna juhataja