I'm a user/trainer/liaison for development of BPCS for 20+ years. We have
attempted many times to resolve this issue with no success. Just
wondering if anybody has seen this issue and been successful in coming to
a solution.

The problem......

We received forecast demand from our customers via EDI and is entered into
our BPCS MRP system in an automated process. When MRP runs and plans
requirements for a forecast order, the requirements have a need date that
is equal to the date the customer requests the shipment. This does not
allow for receipt of material early enough to allow for processing time.
When the order firms up, we enter an order (ORD500) and shop load the work
orders to produce the order. When the work orders are created, the
backward scheduling parameters kick in and move the requirement date from
the date the customer want the order shipped back to a date that allows
for the process time represented by the values in Move & Queue days. For
a product with a two week process time, the act of shop loading the order
(which takes the Move & Queue days into account) changes the need date for
the materials by two weeks. We commonly firm the order and create the
work orders between two and four weeks before shipment. This creates a
substantial change in need date close to the end of the life cycle of the
order.

The question.....

Has anyone experienced this problem? If so, have you reached a solution
and what was done to resolve the issue?

Jeffrey D Holder
Chief Financial Officer

P.O. Box 349 I 160 Commerce Drive I Bay Springs, MS 39422
Phone - 601.764.4121