There is a master file with one record for each warehouse (IWM), location
(ILM), etc.
That record can be maintained to add some associated text, such as
"Invalid location, please stop using." Or whatever text fits & is
meaningful.
Then that field can be included on lists of inventory activities, as a
reminder to people who inadvertently add to the problem.

By using consistent text there, you can develop reports listing records in
upstream files, where the relevant location is one which has that text.

The BPCS XREF system can list for you which BPCS files contain a location
field.
If you have source code for files, you can also search for relevant field id
text strings.

Modifications may be made to the ITE file thru Inventory transactions effect
maintenance.
I suggest that you may wish to copy some types to duplicated effects, so
that you have:
A standard transaction code for real valid inventory activities;
And another for data moved out of bogus locations.
This can help the auditors, when they see the results into the General
Ledger.

If you do not already have such a report, you may wish to add:
For any given bogus location, list what inventory is there, and for each
item, list valid locations which also have that item. Where the volume, for
any given bad location is small, you may wish to manually clear them out,
into wherever you prefer to have that inventory.

This will help you test clean up steps, and what additional reports may be
helpful, with small volumes to address.

Before perfecting the list software, you may wish to get a count report.
How many items are non-zero at each bad location (ILI)?
For each bad location, count inventory transactions (ITH) there in some date
range, excluding the transactions which were copied in ITE to be used for
data corrections. Subtotal the ITH count on type of transaction (ITE)
populating the bad location, to help see what upstream causes of inventory
going to the bad locations, might be prioritized for fixing independently.

At my former day job, we had decent paid full time employees, because they
needed to be skilled at a spectrum of tasks, but we also occasionally had
temporary low paid people, to handle high volume simple keying, such as:
engineering routings, which some engineers had prepared via word
processing, for them to copy;
physical inventory tags;
The temp worker only needed to be skilled in a narrow spectrum task.
If you have high volume manual needed, and you think this will be a
temporary assignment, you might consider temp workers, so this task does not
detract from getting normal duties completed.

There's an item master (IIM) field for how many inventory transactions (ITH)
exist on this item. Those with high numbers imply high activity, and thus
wise to cycle count soon after manually moving out of bad locations. Thus
that ITH count is wise to include on any item list reports you prepare to
facilitate these move outs from bad locations.

Alister Wm Macintyre (Al Mac).