I am now retired. My day job was on BPCS 405 CD version.
It had 14 periods, but period 14 was not based on fiscal calendar. I do not
remember when GL went up in periods count.

I believe period 13 was same as periods 1-12 IN ORDER OF DATE SEQUENCE.

When you do the maintenance for the fiscal calendar, BPCS assumes that the
first day of the next period in sequence of 1-13, is the day after the last
day of the previous period, so BPCS will not allow you to have the periods
out of calendar date sequence.

Try it . go into fiscal calendar maintenance, and change period 12, so the
end date is before Dec-31, then try to maintain period 13.

You might also want to review the shop calendar. If, thanks to the new
owners, you have to do end of month at a time which otherwise might have
factory production, shipping, receiving, and so forth, you might want to
make that a non-working day, because you cannot tolerate any ordinary input,
during the time that end-fiscal month is running. The sooner you get that
done, the better for MRP planning. You will need to review whether you have
existing orders with due dates in conflict with this surprise extra end
month, so that their dates can be fixed to what is now preferred . before or
after the surprise.

During my tenure at that day job, we got purchased, or had changes in owners
(an owner died & the relatives took over, then they had a falling out) 4
times that I can recall. There was also a couple of moves of company HQ,
and a couple times they changed the name of the company to better reflect
how our company's primary products had evolved. You might want another
thread for guidance on some of those gotchas. There are many more gotchas
than the GL dimension. Briefly:
* Many "purchased company" buys assets, not liabilities. This ignores
things involved in running the business, such as contracts, equipment
leasing. Some contracts may need to be renewed, because they were with
former owners.
* Do you have sufficient disk space to support a second environment?
* The new owners probably have no education in BPCS let alone your
version. They may mandate changes which cannot be implemented in BPCS at
the pace they desire. For example, our latest owners wanted some changes to
customer terms, but did not realize those changes only worked in BPCS on new
orders, not on existing ones, such as perpetual orders, so it was years
before the replacement terms were functioning, thanks to poor communications
between people who wanted things, and people tasked with implementing the
requests, let alone IT knowing implications and questioning them. More
serious was them using AR report to secure a bank loan, in ignorance that
the over 90 day column included customers 10 years or more unpaid, which I
thought was uncollectable, and fraudulent to be the basis of a loan.

There are a number of places which may need to get updated, due to the
identities of the new owners, such as name of company, where customers are
to send their money, for example.

It would be wise to get a list of everything which needs to be updated, and
try to implement that real close to between month end completion, and
transactions for the new month. That way all transactions within a month
are consistent.

You might start with the documentation associated with setting up BPCS
master files . company name, warehouse address, person to contact, name of
your network . go thru the list, considering which of these may need a new
name, under the new owners.

If you are on 4.0.5 NON CD, you must have got some Y2K solution from some
place other than SSA-Infor.
That other place probably has some documentation, which people in this BPCS
list are not familiar with.

The only reason we had for maybe using 13 periods instead of 12 was when
some management person demanded that we run a physical inventory in the
middle of a calendar month. BPCS physical inventory is connected to end
month inventory updates. So if when we got this kind of demand, then we
would have to schedule an extra end-fiscal-month in the middle of the
calendar month. Usually doing the planning for that, various accounting
people would lean on whoever wanted middle of month physical, to get that
scheduled date moved, to near end of a month.

Another gotcha is the timing of making the changes to fiscal calendar.
Let's suppose April-20 is in period 4, and you change the calendar so that
now it is in period 5, anything you posted for the GL already, is in the
fiscal period that was the official one at the time of posting. It does not
magically jump to period 5 just because you changed the calendar. BPCS 405
CD uses cascade logic. Stuff gets posted and created, based on the rules
under effect at the time of the action. You cannot retroactively change
this.

Alister Wm Macintyre (Al Mac)
Linked In https://www.linkedin.com/in/almacintyre
Panama Papers group: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/8508998