Depending on the version of BPCS/LX you are implementing in ERPLX 8.3.4 Infor has added some user defined fields for a lot of the master files to help rectify the use of extension files and doing data base changes to the base physical files.

-----Original Message-----
From: BPCS-L [mailto:bpcs-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of rob@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, October 06, 2015 8:55 AM
To: BPCS ERP System
Subject: Re: [BPCS-L] Adding columns to existing Infor files.

John,

What should I be comparing, and why? Is this an attempt to find out what changed? I'm not trying to find out past tense. I am trying to decide on the possible negative ramifications of adding additional columns to existing tables.

At first I thought I dodged the bullet since Infor seemed to have used the logicals for all traditional RPG I/O. Their logicals select the individual columns from the base tables and avoid any *ALL concept. This is a good thing. No programs would blow due to a record format level check.
But then it was pointed out to me that Infor does occasionally use the
dreaded:
select * from mytable into :mytableDS in which mytableDS is an externally defined data structure. At one time this would have only been a 'soft' error. But many moons ago IBM came out with a ptf or new release which made this a hard halt if the 'from' table was altered and now had more columns at the end than were in the data structure. Oh, it's a really simple fix. Simply recompile the program and it will use the new external data structure. I'm not saying the mountain is insurmountable, you just have to know whether the changes you want are worth the pain.

As far as any concerns about Infor screwing up the additional columns I'm somewhat confident they wouldn't. For example if they do a traditional RPG input, modify some columns and update the row the columns I an interested in are outside of their control and shouldn't be altered by that. But I would definitely test that out.

I have zero interest in a "needle in a haystack" solution.

Rob Berendt
Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E