Again, me on 405CD (as modified by our company), where some features might
not work same in 3.1 (as modified by your company).

Beware

Some purges which come with BPCS, have bugs.

They can get solved via patches, upgrades, new versions, then re-appear in
later versions.

I told you about ITH in prior installment.

Some file reorg, from detail file to summary, only copies the story when it
is non-zero. So we have to do a dummy transaction to make the detail + or -
one, then do the reorg, then reverse the transaction.

You may not want to blanket purge everything that is X months old, if there
is still relevant open activity.

We modified BPCS purge to exclude some content, if there was relevant
activity, still open in some other files.

We quit using SFC900 for purging labor tickets, and wrote our own purge.

I don't remember all the reasons why.

We now consider a labor ticket as a candidate for purge if:

* It was entered over some time period ago;

* The order # has no match in certain files "active" records

More Examples:

* We had a lawsuit, in which the lawyers did not want us to delete
ANYTHING related to the items orders etc. history on that other company.
The lawsuit dragged on, where the data involved was older than all of our
cut-off dates for purging. I resolved that by creating a special archive
just for that company. Then when the lawsuit was settled, I got permission
to wipe out the special archive.

* Certain customers are slow to pay bills correctly. We need to
have full history to document what orders from them we fulfilled how, to try
to resolve disputes.

* We have systems of "blanket orders" to manage deals with some
customers, where they contact us, and then we deliver faster than we can
acquire the raw materials to make the parts. We want to keep history open
on these "blanket orders."

* We have returns, both with purchase and customer orders. If the
quantity needed in BPCS is exactly the same as quantity needed in reality,
then after all received, BPCS won't let us return some against that order.

* Some BPCS files do not have a date of activity, such as one of the
delivery ticket files. We resolved that by doing a purge process with the
file which does have a date of activity, then the file without one can purge
its records which have no match with the dated file.

Al Mac = Alister William Macintyre