I use embedded SQL heavily for SELECT info, read in. I have no experience
using it for mass updates. I recognize the value, but am nervous about
going that route. I am more comfortable using familiar coding approaches,
which I have used countless times in other programming.

I will probably do that kind of program solution for dead records dating
back many years in facilities we no longer use, where the volume is in the
thousands. We need to be careful not to mess up BPCS files in the process.
For example IIM count # records in ITH, how total $ and quantity updated in
various master files.

With low volume (judgment call), and one time deals, we do manual deletions.
With repeating scenarios, high volume, we have multiple fix-it programs.

One I would like to have is for spool file ... key in some user name, some
OUTQ, and either a cut-off date, or some time-ago ... please delete all
spool file reports in the name of user-X in OUTQ-Y which are 2 or more
months old. Reason, I have not been able to get the company to include in
the training of new employees, CLEAN UP YOUR spool file, to only include
what you need to keep, such as reports since last backup, and monthly
reference what totals were. So guess who gets to delete them manually by
the thousands.

-
Al Mac