I am also on 405 CD.

There are potential problems if this is done any time other than during END
FISCAL MONTH. I do not remember all the details ... they were discussed
here some years ago, may still be in BPCS-L archives.

My vague memory is that the problems are with integration of multiple files,
and implied allocations.

The solution: During EOM, immediately after INV900 exits JOBQ, put INV973
into JOBQ.
For us, INV900 takes 2 to 5 hours, INV973 takes up to 1 1/2 hours.

INV900 is an end-month step, which among other things pours on-hand into
opening balance, zeroing rest of equation, increments YTD by MTD, then zeros
MTD.

INV973 for those records with zero on-hand, and zero allocated, it deletes
the IWI records, and codes for deletion the associated ILI records.

I do not recommend INV970. It does not run on JOBQ. (I do most of EOM over
flaky VPN on a flaky PC. Stuff tends to time out.) It takes a hell of a lot
more time than INV973 to run, and accomplishes much less.

Those soft coded for deletion records go away the next time we run SYS120.
That includes for a vast spectrum of files associated with all of BPCS
applications. It does not get all files which need it. Additional measures
are needed, either home grown, or an archiving package, or a combination.

I actually run SYS120 several times during EOM, because it dramatically
shortens the run time of CST900 INV900 MRP and several other very big batch
jobs. There are more BPCS file reorganization tasks than I am mentioning in
this post. Not all of them need to run in a restricted state, but they do
run a hell of a lot faster in one.

If it has been a long time since a company has done this, there can be a
problem with excess file sizes. As BPCS needs more disk space for records,
the files grow fine, although there are some limits, worth checking, so now
you have a file with massive unwanted records which the above type software
has now cleaned out, and the file is eating disk space sufficient for many
years future growth. You need to shrink it a bit, so that more disk space
is available for the productivity of BPCS overall. There are multiple ways
to do this, one of the best being a solution from UPI, but we can discuss
alternatives in a later thread.

-
Al Mac