Thank you Norman for the plug on By Invitation Only, it does greatly simplify access and maintenance of BPCS and ERP LX security -that's probably an understatement, however, it doesn't change the framework of how BPCS security is executed.

If a user is given access to another facility, they will have the same authorities for each facility. Our product does not change the way BPCS security operates - It does have some additional benefits and I would be happy to arrange a webinar to show anyone interested how By Invitation Only works and also what can be accomplished with vanilla BPCS security.

Having said that, I think there is a way to "watch" what changes are happening and have immediate notification if this user makes an unwanted change. Please contact me off line to schedule the webinar and/or discuss these options.

Best regards,
Steve Dykstra
sdykstra@xxxxxxxxxx
262-681-3151
*** NOTE: When replying to this digest message, PLEASE remove all text unrelated to your reply and change the subject line so it is meaningful.

Today's Topics:

3. BPCS Security (Molyneux, Tom)
4. Re: BPCS Security (Norman.Boyd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
5. Re: BPCS Security (Molyneux, Tom)

message: 3
date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 09:18:46 +0100
from: "Molyneux, Tom" <Tom.Molyneux@xxxxxxx>
subject: [BPCS-L] BPCS Security

We are on ERP Lx 8.3.2 and are increasingly rolling it out across the globe, leading to issues of security and access that we haven't previously had to consider much.

How do we set up BPCS security so that a user can have all functionality in one Facility (Enquiry & Maintenance) and have Enquiry access to another Facility, but not be allowed to maintain data for that facility?

Eg. We have a user with full access to our US facility who wants to be able to enquire on the UK facility data (MRP, BOMs, costs etc) but not be able to change UK data.

Other US users may need to enquire on our Argentina facility data...... and so on, each potentially with differing access requirements

I know there are Security Groups where functionality can be specified at a program level, but we haven't used them much to date and I'm not sure if they are the answer or would get over-complicated.

Is there a manual describing how to solve such issues or has anyone experience of setting BPCS up to achieve this.

Thanks in advance.

Tom Molyneux

NOV Mono
MIS Department

Tel. +44 (161) 214 2142
Fax. +44 (161) 214 2344
E:mail Tom.Molyneux@xxxxxxx

________________________________
Mono Pumps Limited
Registered in England No. 300721.
Registered Office : Martin Street, Audenshaw, Manchester. M34 5JA

------------------------------

message: 4
date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 07:47:45 -0400
from: Norman.Boyd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
subject: Re: [BPCS-L] BPCS Security

Tom,

My first thought is put some of that responsibility on your users. Create
a 2nd user ID that only has inquiry capability. The other option, digging
deeper into the BPCS security without having to understand all of it, is
to look into a product by Unbeaten Path International, By Invitation Only.

Good Luck

Norman K. Boyd
MIS Administrator
Showa Aluminum Corp. of America

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message is intended only for the
person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential
and/or privileged material. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
message. If you are the intended recipient but do not wish to receive
communications via email, please advise the sender immediately.

[...]

at http://archive.midrange.com/bpcs-l.

------------------------------

message: 5
date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 13:30:48 +0100
from: "Molyneux, Tom" <Tom.Molyneux@xxxxxxx>
subject: Re: [BPCS-L] BPCS Security

Norman,

Thanks for that. I thought about creating a Security Group that had only Inquiry options on all screens and then creating a 2nd user, as you say. But I think longer term this issue is going to grow. We currently have 300 licences and only have 4 spare, so I don't have much scope for creating too many new users until we next buy more licences.

Does "By Invitation Only" specifically address BPCS security issues like this one, or is it a more generic product?

Tom Molyneux

NOV Mono
MIS Department

Tel. +44 (161) 214 2142