Thank you all for some very well thought out and detailed examples!!
Super!!

Don C.

-----Original Message-----
From: bpcs-l-bounces+dcavaiani=amerequip.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:bpcs-l-bounces+dcavaiani=amerequip.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Les Mittman - SBC
Sent: Thursday, October 08, 2009 9:44 AM
To: 'BPCS ERP System'
Subject: Re: [BPCS-L] Blanket P.O.'s - 405cd

Hi Don,

As you describe, your desire is to keep track in BPCS Purchasing that
you have a Blanket P.O. Quantity for a specific Item. For a Blanket
P.O., you have agreed with your Vendor to purchase a specific Quantity,
but the delivery Dates and Quantities have not been determined. When
you decide you need a Quantity on a specific Date, you contact the
Vendor to schedule the delivery. At that point, you would like to enter
a P.O. Line for that Date and Quantity so that MRP will be aware of that
delivery and so that you can receive that shipment to that specific P.O.
Line. You also would like to reduce the Blanket Quantity to show the
remaining Quantity.

On V4.05CD, one technique for managing a Blanket P.O. is as follows:

1. Create a P.O. for the Item Number. This P.O. Number will be used
as
the Blanket P.O.

2. Enter one P.O. Line for the Blanket Quantity (e.g. 500 in your
example). Be sure to use a Due Date that is far in the future. As a
procedure, you might want to use a specific Date for all Blanket P.O.
Lines (e.g. 12/31/20XX).

3. When you decide on a specific release against the Blanket P.O.,
you
will perform P.O. Maintenance.

a. Create a new P.O. Line for the Item with the specific Quantity on
the
desired Due Date. In your example, the Quantity will be 50.

b. Maintain the Blanket Line to reduce the Blanket Quantity by the
amount
of the specific release. In your example, that Blanket P.O. Line will
be changed from 500 to 450 which is now the remaining due.

4. When the delivery arrives, the Quantity should be received to the
specific release P.O. Line.

5. The Blanket P.O. Line will serve as a "place holder" for the open
Blanket Quantity.

While this approach is procedural and more manual than what you might
like, it will accomplish your objective.

With this approach, you must consider the following potential concerns:

1. You must be sure to carefully maintain the Blanket P.O. Lines and
Quantities. With this technique, the sum of the P.O. Line Quantities
will be to Total Blanket Quantity. You may want to use a specific P.O.
Number range for Blanket P.O.'s so that people will know to be extra
careful with these P.O.'s.

2. The people posting the P.O. Receipt must be careful to post the
delivered Quantity to the correct Line on the P.O. During P.O.
Receipts, the released Line and the Blanket Line will be displayed so it
is easy to post the P.O. Receipt Quantity to the Blanket Line rather
than to the specific released Line. This is a training issue that can
be overcome.

3. For MRP purposes, the Blanket Line will show with the future Due
Date. So, the Quantity will be included in the projected balance. To
determine when the next Release should be scheduled, you will want to
monitor the Expedite Messages. When MRP detects a projected need, it
will issue an Expedite Message against the Blanket P.O. Line. That
Expedite Date will be the Date on which you will want to schedule the
next delivery. The negative Projected Balance will be the Need
Quantity. You will have to determine, based on your ordering rules for
the Item, how much the Quantity will be. Then, enter a new P.O. Line
with that Quantity on the desired Due Date.

4. You also have to be concerned about the Price for the P.O. Line.
If
there is a Quote, then that Price will be used for the Blanket Line,
When you create a Release Line, its Price will be determined based on
its Due Date. Therefore, you must be sure that the Release Dates are
within the Quote Effectivity Dates. Alternatively, you can use a
manually entered Price to avoid potential ineffective Quote Dates, but
that is additional maintenance.

5. To ease the process of creating each Release Line, you can use
the
Copy Line action. Copy the Blanket Line or a previously released Line
to create the new released Line. Then, be sure to maintain the Due Date
and the Quantity.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this procedure.
Please feel free to contact me offline to discuss this topic further.

I have used this technique with many V4.05CD clients.

Thanks.

Les Mittman

847-858-5235

BPCS Consultant with over 20 years experience