Dear Don, <vendor>
Flashing red lights on the STRSQL idea !!!
That would cause an avalanche of problems. Some insight:

STRSQL would not perform any type of referential integrity check
of other BPCS files when removing/inactivating old IIM records. All
the necessary files (over 20) would have to be addressed
individually. The potential for misses using this manual approach
is extremely high.

Also if you're using STRSQL, you must know when to use an UPDATE
and inactivate the record, and when to use a DELETE so as to
physically remove the record from the BPCS database. BPCS handles
deletes differently for different files.

One of the reasons the BPCS approach to deactivate items (INV100) causes
such enormous frustration is because it enforces a painstaking digging project
to remove all instances of the item according to BPCS rules. Every user we've
ever talked with has told us that INV100 is so complicated they just give up
and put a "DANGER - DON'T USE" message in the item description.

We've invented a product that puts obsolete items to rest with much less
digging. It's called Item Undertaker. Here's the link:
http://www.unbeatenpath.com/software/iu/ItemUndertaker.pdf

One Item Undertaker user took out well over 30,000 items from a defunct
category of their business during a single weekend.

The software even nominates items that merit a deactivation analysis;
you can obtain that intellectual property from the free demo.

Warm regards,
Milt Habeck
Unbeaten Path International

(888) 874-8008