Use Client Access Data Transfer From Iseries to download the file first.
Make sure there is at least one record in the file. Save the downloaded file
with an .xls extension. Save, under the PC settings, Output device, put
file. Then click details. At the top, I use BIFF8(MS Excel 8), and at
bottom, pc description file, save to your desktop(I use a folder) as a FDF.
I name the .xls and the .fdf the same, and that is the file name. By placing
them in a folder, it is easy for me to upload/download data and reuse the
definitions.

Then, you can clear the file, but leave the headings(field names will be
displayed). I usually wait to clear the .xls file(or leave 1 record) till I
paste my data, that way I see all fields that need to be updated, such as
time/date stamps, etc..and shows you the format of the data.

If you were just going to change data, open in Excel, update and then save.

Then, do a Client Access Transfer TO the Iseries. For the file, browse to
your folder, select the xxx.xls file that you changed/updated/replaced.
Enter the system name, then LIBRARY/XXX(XXX) where XXX is the file name.
Click details, then put a check in Use PC file desc, and point this to your
FDF. Leave translate as ASCII. Then you need to select , from the Create
Iseries Object, either No,append to existing member( to add new records and
leave the existing ones) or No, replace member only(to clear the member
before loading your new records.Then click Transfer.

Jim