We also Ver 405 CD. Over the years we have had facilities that were opened, ran for several years, shut down. Certain customer's business got transferred from a specific facility to another specific facility. We took care of customer orders manually, since it was staggered what business would overlap two facilities as it transitioned, but we got a modification written by UPI to move the engineering data (routings, BOM, costs, etc.) across the relevant facilities, since we have some coding that is facility specific.

For example our main factory has
facility 20 ... all warehouses prefixed 2, with last digit being type of stuff there ... shipping warehouse, production warehouse, QC problems, etc.
profit center 200 into the General Ledger, with other 2 prefixes as appropriate.
All work centers there prefixed 2, factory departments prefixed 2.
We have vendor and customer #s for each facility, also using this # system.

This way it is crystal clear to everyone what facility some data is in.

I suggest you take a hard look at DRP and RO (resupply orders).
This manages work that is in transition between facilities.
You can have a customer order in one facility, to be delivered to another facility.
The purpose of this is to treat other facilities like customers and vendors, without the hassle of having to pay the financials, while managing inventory and orders same way as for outside customers & vendors.
You can have facilities specializing in different production skills. Just make sure the engineering defines a discrete item for what gets transferred across facilities, and you allow enough move time if the factories are not in close proximity.

When you receive inventory from a different facility, you use a different transaction than when it is on a purchase order with a vendor. Shipping out uses the same process as shipping to an outside customer.

If you have 2 facilities with different cost structures ... e.g. distribution vs. manufacturing ... you don't want to be doing ordinary transfers of inventory between them, because when the part moves, it drags its cost structure along with it, so you can end up with inappropriate costs in the target facility.

We use BPCS special pricing to offer discounts to customers that buy larger quantities, because this reduces the impact of setup and other costs. Unfortunately the special price file does not allow for different pricing structures by facility for same customer item combination.

There are people who need to manage what's going on facility by facility, and there are people who want to look at the big picture for the entire corporation. We have had to do a few modifications to make sure both interests are adequately served.

Ver 405 DC

We have 3 plants. The people who set up BPCS in the 90's are no longer here. They only set up one facility.

Plant 3 is the final assembly plant, but Plant 1 and 2 only build sub-assemblies which get supplied to Plant 3.

We are all under the one facility code.

Now, we are wondering how the system might look (work) if we have separate facility codes for Plants 1 and 2, and treated their output as component requirements for the plant 3 facility???

TIA,
Don
Don F. Cavaiani
IT Manager
Amerequip Corp.
920-894-7063

"It's amazing what you can accomplish if you don't care who gets the credit." Harry S. Truman