It has been a while since I studied the relevant documentation, so hopefully someone else can give you a better answer, but it might be until some time next week.

We don't use firm planned orders. The act of releasing a shop order or a purchase order is like having a firm planned order. We went this route because the company was trying to keep clerical person costs to a minimum.

My understanding is that a firm planned order is an optional step between independent demand, and the orders that get the job done. You still need the latter, unless you don't care about some stuff we care about.

For example, suppose you "create" some part without going through a shop order, which you can do via INV500 transactions to add the made part, and consume the raw materials. In the absense of shop order to a conclusion (hey don't delete it), the actual cost will never trickle up to the end items.

This is important to us because some of our raw material components are like gasoline pricing on steroids, We need to have rapid access to knowing what end item profits have been adversely affected by fluctuations in raw material pricing.

However, an alternative:
Create a new cost set ... call it TRUE COST or whatever floats your boat.
Zero out everything in that cost set if you previously used it for something else
Copy 100% of your material costs & whatever else is important to TRUE COST
Do a standard cost rollup of TRUE COST.
You now have an actual cost that does not have to wait on shop orders to make all the parts, then get purged, or deal with parts that you "made" without using shop orders.
You can NOT copy TRUE COST back into actual cost.

Note that BPCS has no provision to get rid of a cost set when you are done with it, but UPI has an archiving product called Locksmith, that can do this for you, amontg other things.

We have been running into problems with customers expecting shorter and shorter lead times on new parts, which can overwhelm our engineers in setting up BOM & routings. We get the BOM in first, so new customer orders can trigger purchase of raw materials before the routings completed. But we have to be careful with effectivity dates ... BPCS defaults them to date they go in, but MRP does not back plan new orders into a date that is ineffective or past due on arrival.

We get some compensation for this by having safety stock early.

Also as year end approaches, there is high risk that people who have been keying in 07 for year all year, will forget to key in 08 for year.

Commodity Pricing and Nulls are royal pains. This weekend I am reverse engineering vendor freight expenses to end customer items. The path is rather snakey.

We have rather long lead times (over a month) on some raw materials, and we have some customers that change their requirements on short notice, which means MRP replans when stuff is due. There is a field in the orders that has the MRP reschedule date ... we run reports to identify orders where MRP is telling us to pull up previously released orders to do them sooner.

MRP only does this one level down ... so we use the report to adjust due dates on parent items, then after another MRP, go again for the next level down.

There's been discussion about automating this, but no, people need to see the data, to review glitches and exceptions.

We created a report to compare vendor history with planned lead times to identify items where the lead times were out of sync with vendor behavior.

The on-line documentation from BPCS is like a sledge hammer across the brain to comprehend ... I suggest you tackle it a little at a time. Instead of using the front end, we go in with PDM against file BPCSDOC in library *LIBL. If you can afford it, there are some great 3rd party manuals for BPCS, with pricing starting around $250.00 each.

On more than one occasion, there has been a significant difference of memory between me and co-workers on exactly what is going on various places, such as with planning, expected costs, whether various things can happen (like we are able to (accidentally) pay for a PO that we never received), so we come up with tests to figure out exactly what is going on.

BPCS does support various simulations and test environment, but if you are having trouble understanding what's going on in the regular data, this stuff is not very helpful.

There are a gazillion codes for items in IIM item master and CIC item facility planning file. When keying in new items, BPCS defaults to some values which may be contrary to your company's standards, and easy for some people to overlook. We have created some programs that do mass updates of our items to enforce some rules, and thus reduce hassle for data entry. You might want to review your in-house rules, to make sure you are not getting some items not setup quite right.

For example, we report labor using JIT600 because it combines SFC600 with INV500 ... lots more results with less keying. But there are some gotchas. BPCS lets us create BOM that does not identify routing operation where some part is used ... well if we individually report each operation, none of which match some component in the BOM, then the component item is never backflushed, to the detriment of inventory accuracy. So you have to know how to root out glitches in your total data.

There may be variables in the system parameters, that vary with the version.

I suggest you run SYS800, screen print every screen, and make them available for various people review "What does this mean?" but don't change anything until you have studied what it means. BPCS Security is rather tight on the BPCS Business Rules, but you can also access a lot via Query/400 vs. ZPA file. Remember that BPCS Business Rules are actually located in several different places, including Transaction Effects, and Accounting.

In our setup, the shop orders have several collection points, in which the first operations can need to be done a day or so before the later operations, based on BPCS calculation how long all the steps will take. The final operation is due when the next level needs the part, so I figure OUR shop orders are being backward scheduled.

We use 405 CD to manufacture wiring harnesses for OEMs.
I hope my remarks have been somewhat helpful.
Al Macintyre ... Computer Janitor, programmer, data forensics

This is fairly complicated - please comment if you would.

Thanks,
Don