Just throwing some ideas, if the stock in consignement is not owned, I think it should not be received under a PO, and should not create accruals for invoices to receive, it should not create inventory assets in the balance sheet, and should not create invoices when shipped out. I think the quantities on hand and the in and out movements should be accounted for with another kind of transaction: lerhaps some kind of miscellanous receipt or stock adjustment. The warehouse should not be included in the GL. Also, the company is giving a service, so their revenues should be invoiced with a non-inventory service item, not the inventory items.

Daniel Warthold

From: "Milt Habeck" <mhabeck@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "BPCS user community" <BPCS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [BPCS-L] Consignment Purchase Orders
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 09:22:23 -0600

Hi ...

This is intriguiging.

So, do you process a receipt transaction and then hold the consignment items in BPCS inventory with a zero inventory value? Are the consignment inventory
counts held in BPCS?

Do shipments from Clover to the ultimate customers generate revenue for
Clover in the form of some sort of per-unit handling fee rather than the
typical sales less COSales = gross profit revenue cycle? Said another way,
is your A/R collected from the owner of the consignment inventory rather
than the enterprises that receive shipments of the inventory from your
warehouse? If these guesses are correct, then it seems as if the owner of
the inventory cuts an invoice to its customer once you tell that enterprise
that a shipment has departed from your door.

If you do process a BPCS receipt transaction, I'm curious how you get the
inventory removed from BPCS when you ship it.

All these questions prove that I'm in the dark about your business process
... but the point that keeps popping into my head is that you may not be
doing yourself any favors by processing the purchase orders in BPCS. Why
can't the owner of the consignment inventory cut POs that are drop shipped
to you? They would have to have some sort of PO on their system anyway if
they wanted to 3-way match before paying their supplier.

If you can't convince the consignment inventory owner to cut his own POs,
then maybe you need a blanket PO processed outside of BPCS and manage
releases against the PO using a Kanban signal.

En pocas palabras, don't let the business process owner at Clover convince
you that this is a BPCS software problem.

Peace to you,

Milt Habeck
President
Unbeaten Path