My background in MPS goes back to the mid and late 1970's when Arista
Manufacturing Systems out of Winston-Salem, NC developed and marketed the
first MPS module.

The primary usage of MPS is not to "... create smaller subsets of capacity
or order critical items."  Rather MPS's focus is to manage the production
plan.

The production plan consists of a fixed quantity to be produced within a
given timeframe - typically weekly - over a company's planning horizon.
Rather than drive sales demand directly into MRP it is this fixed weekly
production quantity that drives MRP and its planning of purchased and
manufactured sub-components.  Driving MRP off a planned production quantity,
rather than directly from sales orders stabilizes the production floor.
Rarely is it necessary to interrupt production to rush a priority order.

MPS logic is simple, allowing the production plan to be managed with very
little data analysis.  The first step is to set a weekly production
quantity.  This is done by evaluating sales forecasts and using rough cut
capacity planning to determine the feasibility of the production plan.

In day to day operations booked sales orders consume the uncommitted portion
of the production plan (known as the Available to Promise quantity or ATP)
reducing the ATP quantity.  When the ATP goes negative the sales orders'
promise dates are moved to the nearest period with available ATP (nearest
ATP may be in an earlier or later period).  Only when the ATP goes negative
and there are no other alternatives, is the production plan number
increased.

The primary benefit realized from using MPS is a very high on time shipment
performance.  In the 1980's and early 90's on time shipment performance
climbed into the high 90 percentile range.

Use of MPS diminished as customers began to demand shorter lead times and
specific date shipments.  Specific date shipment requirements in particular
render the MPS ineffective.  The effort to set and manage a daily production
plan takes away from the effort required to meet customer demands.  The cure
has been to remove MPS from the picture and drive MRP directly from sales
orders.  However there has been a price to pay.

As customer demands change (add this line item, change this ship date,
cancel this order, etc.) so must the daily production plan and since the
daily production plan is driven directly from sales orders it changes daily.
Managing daily priorities is now the focus and as a result on time shipment
performance has suffered.  Today firms count themselves doing well if they
ship above 90% on time.  I know of several firms whose objective is to ship
90% on time and expend tremendous efforts to make that happen.

Roy Luce

Systems Plus - Midwest

Direct: 847-540-9635
        800-913-7587