Thanks for your help.

Joe Moreton

-----Original Message-----
From: bpcs-l-bounces+joe.moreton=oneneck.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:bpcs-l-bounces+joe.moreton=oneneck.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Vince Hindson
Sent: Monday, June 19, 2006 1:35 AM
To: SSA's BPCS ERP System
Subject: Re: [BPCS-L] Cutting down GL records -archiving/purging

A technique I have used a number of times with BPCS (and other ERP
conversions) works perfectly for all history-based files. It would not
work for master files. It goes something like this:

1) Run a full conversion of all files from Live to a test system.
2) Identify a number of key history file that are huge and make a safe
copy of these, away from the test system before users get their hands on

it.
3) For each file, work out a safe 'cut-off' point where data is
effectively obsolete but nobody has the confidence to agree to get rid
of
it. For example, all records on GHH and GLH may be completely closed for

2005 and earlier but no one would want to remove these. If you have been

running V6 of BPCS for a number of years, you may easily have 10m
records
+ prior to 2005.
4) For next test conversion (or Live conversion if you're brave), prior
beginning the exercise (but once all users are off the system), take a
copy of the files involved, then simply truncate these files so that
they
only contain records from 2005 onwards.
5) Run the conversion - it should run much more quickly as many records
have been taken out of the process.
6) Copy the records from the ALREADY-CONVERTED files (see step 1)  which

contain records prior to 2005 back into the truncated file. However,
bear
in  mind this bit may take some time.

This process will save a huge amount of time and is very simple so
offers
the benefit of clarity. When I have used this before, I have identified
the largest BPCS files and concentrated on those (history) files.
Obviously the more files you do this with, the more time you save at the

crucial go-live conversion time.

If you have any queries please feel free to contact me off-line.

Vince Hindson

DataTechnology Plc
3/4 The Long Room
Royal Quay
Coppermill Lock Harefield
Middx. UB9 6JA
Phone + 44 1895 829300
Direct + 44 1895 829312
Fax + 44 1895 820555
Mobile +44 7990 595265

http://www.datatechnologyplc.com

privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you must not read,
use
or disseminate that information.  Although this email and any
attachments
are believed to be free of any virus, or any other defect which might
affect any computer or IT system into which they are received and
opened,
it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus
free and no responsibility is accepted by Data Technology Plc.  for any
loss or damage arising in any way from receipt or use thereof.